Search This Blog

November 21, 2016

Test Results :: Elphaba


CiM Elphaba is a beautiful spring green.  For the longest time I've shied away from brighter colours, but I've burst out of that self-imposed prison this year, and I'm hooked on this one. After some very minor encounters with the bright Effetre greens (Nile Green, Pea Green) I approached this colour thinking that it would be more aggressive with other colours, and streakier. I was pleasantly surprised!

Elphaba is a surprisingly soft colour. I'd rate its viscosity maybe a 1 or 2 on the scale where 0 is Effetre White and 10 is Effetre Black.


Here, you can see that reducing Elphaba in the bead on the right had no effect on the colour of it.


Silver causes a little bit of brown discolouration when it's used on top of Elphaba.

I don't really understand the things that happened when I reduced and encased the silver, because the brownness seems to have diminished, and really organized itself in a vertical line in the rightmost bead. Possibly that was a join line in my encasing, and so maybe it was all looking for somewhere to go and there was some space there before it melted in?  I just don't know, but it's one of those things that make me go "hmmm".


I'm not sure what to say here except that Elphaba doesn't really make a pretty or particularly effective base for silver glass.


Tuxedo makes Elphaba separate, and so you can see in both beads how wherever the two touch, the Elphaba develops a line. In the bead on the left, the result looks like a green outline to the tuxedo stringerwork that is faintly outlined in black. In the bead on the right, you can see a faint black line through the Elphaba stringer lines and faint black dots in the centre of the Elphaba dots.

Copper Green, Opal Yellow, and Ivory all spread quite a lot on top of Elphaba, and the Copper Green looks really Turquoise when it's used with Elphaba and even blushes a bit pink in places, but there's no trace of the dark patina that often develops on it.  Also, around the Copper Green stringer lines there's almost a fissure-like outline and you can see in the rightmost bead that the Elphaba has separated on top of the Copper Green.

Opal Yellow strikes odd pinkish grey in blotches when it's used on top of Elphaba, and around Elphaba dots and stringer lines. Peace goes a little weird in the same way on top of Elphaba, but so mildly that it's not very noticeable.

There are no real reactions of note with Ivory.

Here are some beads made with Elphaba. This colour has stolen my heart :)







No comments:

Post a Comment